Saturday, September 29, 2012

Life is a gray zone….


I am inspired by the ambiguity and beauty in the space of nothingness.  The space that connects and differentiates dichotomies is the space I seek to illustrate.  This gray zone is often overlooked in the world of classification and differentiation.  

I am often inspired by images I collect from my vivid dreams.  I dream vividly and lucidly, and I find the dream world to be synonymous to the gray zone that I am trying to emulate in this dimension. Overall, I love to capture beauty.

I enjoy peeling off the layers of what is considered mundane to reveal the silent and at times archaic beauty. 
I seek to highlight the beauty in what is often overlooked, and to also create portals of beauty that can be construed as artifacts of soft power.

I find art to be more than imagery for the senses but it can serve  as a provocative platform to promote much needed dialogue on issues that may difficult to discuss outside of the Arts.

My influences cross many terrains and cultures.  I am constantly drawn to the similarities in the differences of cultures.  My traveling has only intensified my desire to help promote empathy within humanity.

I follow the philosophies of wabi sabi, which is finding beauty in the imperfections.  As time progresses, its wear and tear leaves its mark on the living and inanimate objects.  This stage of progress is the gray zone that I love to capture.  We are in the gray zone, from new to old, everything under the sun goes through the process of absorbing time’s mark.

I am inspired by films by directors such as Jean Luc Godard, Ousmane Sembène, to Yi Jae Yong.  My taste in music and visual arts are an eclectic mix that has no limits. 

The differences in the world need not cause division for we are all linked.  The differences should be examined not from a point of superiority but to connect the dots of our humanity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment